Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Before you contact us…
First, check out the updated Fool's Guide to the Fool's Run
Next, please take some time to read Road Race Etiquette Guidelines
Then if you still have a question, see if it's here:
The Most Obvious Question:
Registration and Packet Pickup Questions:
Runner Services Questions:
Miscellaneous and Post-Race Questions:
The Most Obvious Question:
- What's with the 9:17am start time?
- We wanted to start a bit later than 9am and a bit earlier than 9:30, and since it's the Fool's Run, an oddball start time makes perfect sense. Plus, it's the actual start time of the very first Fool's Run in 1978, when the co-founder slept in and they waited 17 minutes for her before starting anyway (she got there 5 minutes later).
Registration and Packet Pickup:
- When's the last day to pre-register?
- If we're not sold out, you can register on-line until midnight on Wednesday April 3; and in person at PaceSetter Athletic in Gibsons during regular store hours. Race weekend registration (if not sold out) happens Thursday April 4 at Running Room Denman from 2–6; Saturday April 6 at PaceSetter Athletic Gibsons from 10–4:30, and Sunday April 7 at the Gibsons Rec Centre (at package pickup).
- I didn't complete my registration / lost my internet connection before finishing / didn't pay yet. Can I get back to where I left off to finish signing up?
- Yes! You can complete your registration any time while online registration remains open. If you were registering as an individual, click here to access your registration.
- Note, the amount you pay is based on the date that you make your payment, not the date you started your registration. In other words, if you start your registration during the Early Bird time frame but don't pay until the Late time frame, you will be charged the late fee rate.
- I moved / got a new phone number since registering. How can I update my info?
- You can do this online until midnight March 30, 2019. If you registered as an individual, click here to access your registration.
- Changes you can make yourself include address, phone number, participant questions, adding and paying for optional items, changing team or group. For other changes please contact us.
- I got injured and I can't run. Can I get a refund or let my friend run instead?
- Sorry, entries are non-refundable. Please do not email or phone asking for a refund for any reason.
While online registration is still open, you have 2 options for transfer, with PROOF OF INJURY OR SERIOUS ILLNESS (no other reasons accepted): 1) You can transfer your entry to another athlete for a charge of $10, prior to the 'Late Entry' period; or 2) You can defer the entry to the following year for a charge of $10, prior to the 'Late Entry' period. Cost for either option is $15 during the 'Late Entry' period. No transfers or deferrals after online registration is closed UNLESS you can volunteer at the race instead of running (if positions are available). You will still be able to pick up any souvenir garments ordered.
- Exception: Relay teams may make a one-time substitution at no charge (1 member on 2-person teams, up to 2 members on 4-person teams). The new team member must fill out a form and sign the waiver. NOTE: If you ordered a shirt you will still receive it.
- Before requesting a transfer or deferral, please see our registration policy section.
- Can I walk the course?
- Yes, walkers are welcome to sign up. Individual walkers use the Early Start at 8:17am. Any individuals projecting a finish time of 3 hrs or more should also start at 8:17am.
- I'm not sure what my finish time will be. Which start should I sign up for?
- If you think you may finish over 3 hours but maybe slightly faster (down to 2:50), the early start is for you (only for individuals, not for relays). However, if there's a reasonable chance you might finish much faster than 3 hours (e.g. 2:45 or less), you should definitely start at 9:17am. The finish line/chip timing will remain open until 12:40, allowing for a 3:23 finish for the regular starters.
- Anyone from the early start arriving in Davis Bay before 10:47am (= 2.5 hour finish time) will be asked to step off the course and wait until the top 3 men and women have finished, before entering the finish chute. This is so the overall winners get to cross the finish first with an unobstructed sprint to the line, and no confusion over who is the actual winner. So, you definitely don't want to go in the early start if you might be too fast for it!
- NOTE: if you finished under 2:50 any time in the past 3 years, you must enter the 9:17 start, unless you can prove to us you are incapable of doing that time again (doctor's note, or recent half marathon results).
- I already registered and now I'd like to order a shirt or medal insert. How do I do that?
- You can do this online. Edit your registration and use the "Add Optional Items" button: Edit Half Marathon Registration | Edit Relay Registration
- Don't forget to make the payment to complete the order!
- Shirts can be ordered until sold out. Medal inserts can be ordered until 1 week after the race (new link provided). You can also order your medal insert during package pickup.
If shirts are still available on race weekend, they can be purchased at packet pickup.
- We only have 3 people on our relay team. Can we still run as a relay?
- We'd prefer that teams consist of 2 or 4 people only, but if you absolutely can't find a fourth person to run on your team, one team member may run twice. You still must register as a 4-person team and pay the entry fee for each member. Only 'complete' relay registrations will be assigned bib numbers — incomplete teams are not considered to be registered. Note: a person may not run for more than one team and an individual runner may not double as a relay runner.
- How do I register a group for the Group Challenge? What is the cost?
- Use the same online registration form as for individuals. On the second page there is a button labelled "Create a Group". Choose that if you are starting a new group. You can register yourself at the same time as a member of the group, or just create the group as a captain without registering. To join an existing group, select the "I'm a Participant" button and then a second selection will appear asking if you are part of a Group. Say Yes and you can then search for your group name and join. Cost is the same per person as for individuals, and you get all the same benefits.
- How do I register my child for the Kids' Run?
- Please use our sign up form on the Kids Run page. The event is free but you must sign up your child. Limit 50 kids.
Q6: What time does early package pickup start at Running Room Denman? What's this?
- How do I get back to the start after finishing? Where do I catch a bus?
- We provide school buses to transport runners back to the start area and the ferry from Davis Bay, at no charge to race participants. Buses leave as per the schedule or when full, with the first bus leaving at 11:30. Buses leave from the Davis Bay Beach parking lot (approx 150m from the finish line). Check the finish line map before race day so you know where everything is.
- Public transit is also available from Sechelt to Gibsons and Langdale, and runs approx. every hour from Sechelt. Cost $2 pp.
- Will I be able to catch an earlier ferry back to Vancouver (before 1:05pm)?
- The previous sailing is at 10:40am — you do the math. The first shuttle from the finish leaves at 11:30am (first come, first served) and goes to Langdale in time for the 1:05 ferry. The race day schedule is geared towards getting you on the 1:05pm or 3:15pm ferry after enjoying food, prizes, awards, plus a shower back in Gibsons. Please plan your day accordingly.
- Can my non-running spouse/friend/companion travel on the buses you are providing?
- Yes, they are welcome to travel with you from the ferry and from the finish line back to the start. A $2 donation would be gratefully accepted by our Ferry Fairy (foot passenger greeter) for each non-runner riding the bus.
To get from the start to the finish while you are running, they can take the free shuttle bus.
- Is there enough room on the ferry for a lot of participants to travel at one time? Will it be full?
- There is lots of room on race morning! The ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale is a full-size C-class vessel capable of carrying 1494 passengers and crew and 360 vehicles. That said, the vehicle space may fill up on the way home, as most weekend visitors to the coast travel back to the city around the same time. Arrive early or leave your car on the mainland, or relax at the terminal (there's a Wheatberries kiosk with yummy food and coffee). Or pay for a reservation if you can't wait. See Travel Info for more details.
- Is there transportation from the ferry to the race start if I don't want to bring my car on the ferry?
- Yes! We provide free shuttle buses from the ferry to the start, on race morning, for the 7:30am sailing. For other arrival dates, you can use public transit.
- Do the buses carry relay teams to the exchange points, or must we provide our own transportation?
- Relay teams can use the free shuttle bus.
- Is there a gear check? What does it cost?
- Yes, you may check your bag for free at the community centre between 7:45 and 9:10am on race morning and it will be transported to the finish line for you. The gear pickup will be in Mission Point House near the finish line. Please do not check valuables or large/heavy items. Small to medium sized bags or backpacks only.
- Where are the aid stations on the course? What will I find there?
- The 4 on-course aid stations are located at approximately 5k, 10.5k, 15k and 18.5k. Each aid station will have Canadian Springs water, sports drink, and 1 portapotty. There is also an extra portapotty at Relay Exchange 3.
- Are there showers and change facilities after the race?
- Yes, there are change cubicles in the (heated) washroom building at Davis Bay beach (about 150m from the finish line, next to the bus loading area). You can get a shower back in Gibsons at the community centre. Just show your bib number for free admittance. Bring your own towel.
Miscellaneous and Post-Race Questions:
- I didn't pick up my award. How do I get it?
- Cheques/gift cards for overall top 3 and masters will be mailed if they're not picked up at the ceremony.
- Age Group and Relay awards will be available for pickup at PaceSetter Athletic in Gibsons until the end of April. After that, they will be recycled for other events.
- I didn't pick up my race kit. Can I still get my shirt?
- Yes. If you don't live on the Sunshine Coast, we will mail out shirts not picked up. (If your address has changed since you registered, be sure to let us know right away.) If you live on the Sunshine Coast, come to PaceSetter Athletic to pick up no later than the end of April.
- Is there food for spectators at the finish line? Where are the best cheering spots?
- The food at the finish area is for RACE PARTICIPANTS and VOLUNTEERS ONLY. Spectators can take a stroll or drive around the corner towards Sechelt to Wheatberries and other outlets for food and drinks. For best cheering spots, see our Spectator Tips page.